Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Another Letter I Found [written in 1993]

Dear Family,

I'm writing this letter to let you know I no longer have an address you can write to. Actually, I no longer have a home. Rebecca, Johanna and I went to Kentucky last weekend to the horseraces. I was too scared to tell you on the phone but I lost all of my money. It was before I paid for school, so yesterday was my last day. Today I'm beginning my long journey home. I sold my car to win back my money but I lost all that too. I tried to get a job but even Plantum Gold wouldn't hire me. When I had to dance and strip, they saw my scar so they wouldn't hire me. I'll be hitch hiking home so I hope I'll make it.

I might as well tell you now- I got arrested last week. I was working for a guy they call Black Dice. The cops arrested me on the corner of Broadway and 7th St. After they brought me to the station for prostitution, they found marijuana I was trying to sell. That was when Rebecca and Johanna sold my computer for bail.

I don't know how I'm going to support my baby. Jermain left me after I lost all my money. Dad, you were right. I should never have told anybody about the money.

I love you all dearly and hope to see you soon.

Your daughter (if you'll still let me be),

Rebecca