Wednesday, August 12, 2009

School

So, for those of you that are wondering...

I have decided to pull Cal and Ike out of preschool this year. Here's why-
* Our property taxes went up $300/month. We found out this is only temporary because of some assessements that were added in. The assessements were stupid things that happened when Ike was first born and we couldn't catch up with life (icey sidewalk and dirt in the driveway. blah!).
* We would have to pay $3,200 for the year for stinking preschool. I'm having a hard time justifying that amount of money for something the kids don't REALLY need. I mean, c'mon. It's preschool.
* I'm seriously contemplating homeschooling and since Calvin is academically ready (but not mature enough), I'm going to give an attempt at a sort-of pseudo, very-relaxed kindergarten this year. That's why I'm not just pulling Ike out and leaving Calvin in. I want to give this a chance.

Notes on homeschooling:
* We haven't decided for sure that this is what we are doing. I am very excited about it and am loving what I'm reading on homeschooling. Eric is much more skeptical but is eager for me to start this year to see how it goes (since Calvin would not really start kindergarten until next year).
* I still don't know what style of curriculum I'm going to use so we are probably going to get a late start. I'm leaning toward the Charlotte Mason method, but would love to incorporate the classical approach as well. I know plenty of women who mix these two methods and love it. However, it seems that kindergarten would be much more relaxed and I may not need to buy very much material.

Notes on other stuff:
* I'm ecstatic that I'm joining the YWCA next month. I'm planning on going 3x a week. I'm going to start the kids on swimming lessons and I'm hoping to become so strong that you will be afraid of me.
* I'm also enrolling Calvin in an art class every Monday. He will be dropped off with his friend, Sammy.

So although I was REALLY looking forward to having some time to myself this fall (2 days a week for 4 hours each), I am excited about this new plan. Please pray for us during this endeavor. For unity between Eric and me as we make this decision, for the boys to acclimate well to the Y and not being in school, for a peaceful home for us despite the business and lack of a break for me.

If you are still reading this, you are my best friend.