Monday, January 12, 2009

Bad Parent Award

We were at Caribou this weekend in a mall and were going through the line. Cal was A.D.D.ish and wouldn't keep his hands off of the merchandise, coffee, etc, whenever we passed a new shelf. We kept asking him to stop touching things and he was disobeying by not really paying attention and acting a little spaztic.

Then this conversation happened, which I did not hear...

Old, cranky man behind us: You know, that's the best way to spread germs. You shouldn't let your kids touch the caps to the juice bottles because if they are sick then others can get sick.
Eric: Calvin, stop touching those.
Man: That's the best way to spread germs.
Eric: Sir, I asked them to stop touching the bottles. What else would you like me to do?
Man: I would like you to control your children. If you can't get your kids to obey you in simple things like not touching stuff, then you two need to go to parenting school.

I heard that last line, and since I have no self-control, I yelled, "Well, if you can't mind your own business!..." (Yes, I realize the irony here... I wasn't really minding my own business.)
Man: This IS my business.
Then Eric says very quietly and calmly: Sir. You think we are bad parents. I get it. You made your point.

That was it. I was so mad at the cranky man. Eric and I talked about it and decided that his point was valid but that he was an a-hole. He doesn't know us and doesn't know our kids and said that we need parenting school.

So, tell me. Have YOU ever had a stranger tell you that you stink as parents?